View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Joe I will be at the valley springs car show, Saturday the 4th of Sept . Temps are hitting 215 but will go past, if I do not back off. I have oil cooler, but only pressure gauge for oil. My thoughts are water pump, but not sure if that is the fix. Did not want to just start throwing parts at it. Hoping to get some options from others, who may have had the same problems. I have tried red line water wetter and it did not help at all.
215°F is not excessively hot. Have you tried to keep running it to see where the temperature levels off?

You can run a lot hotter than that in a pressurized cooling system, even with water. For every pound of pressure exerted on the coolant in the system, the static boiling point of the coolant is raised by approximately 3° F. 13 PSI would have a boiling point of 251°F (212°F + (13 x 3)), while a 16 PSI system would have a boiling point of 260°F. https://durathermfluids.com/pdf/tech...ling-point.pdf

Ethylene glycol, of course, will raise the boiling point. Evans Waterless coolant will raise it even higher.

Questions:
  1. What thermostat are you running? Temp rating? High flow or standard?
  2. Is your water pump under-driven? Does it cool down at lower RPM? To what temp?
  3. Is your radiator sealed to prevent airflow from bypassing it?

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-01-2021 at 11:35 AM..