View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That looks like one of the Corvette based Cobra "replicas". They were generally stretched, widened, vaguely Cobra-like bodies made to fit directly on a C3 (usually) Corvette chassis.
Judging by the way the engine sits forward of the prominent footboxes in the engine bay, and the shape of the body; I'd say this one was definitely made by Elegant Motors.

Elegant Motors inc. started building and selling Auburn Speedster replicas sometime in the early 1970's. One of the owners was '60's NASCAR driver, Dick Passwater. The company went on to become "Indy Exotics" and then "Classic City Motors" I believe, before closing down for good. Their Cobra is arguably one of the better Corvette-based kits, as most of them - like the "Cobrette" for example, had long, flat, awkward looking bodies stretched to fit the 98" wheelbase. Elegant's Cobras were available with a correct 90" tube chassis as well as the stretched version that dropped onto the Corvette frame.

I'm not sure that what we have here is the "Attack" version, however, as I seem to recall that the Attack had radical custom body mods like side skirts, front air dam and a rear wing. Here's a pic from an older thread here on cc.

EDIT - Here's another look from an ebay ad

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 09-09-2021 at 05:31 AM..