View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
The above referenced replica looks like a respectable deal, if you're interested in a 428. (not for me). The one thing that would be a deal breaker, for me, is the top loader which are good transmissions, but if you want to do much highway cruising, you'll soon be wishing for a 5 or 6 speed transmission to go a long way in reducing RPMs at cruising speed. Just my 2¢ worth.
Good point about the 4 speed Toploader, however almost all Cobra replica owners - especially those with higher end brands (not to mention owners of REAL Cobras) - made do with them for decades until Tremec rolled out the 3550 and TKO. A few opted for Richmond 5 speeds, but those had the same 1:1 top gear ratio.

The ad doesn't specify what the final drive ratio is but a 2000-odd pound Cobra (as opposed to a 2+ ton muscle car) doesn't need a 4:11 gear to pull hard out of the hole. A low 3 series ratio combined with enough torque from a strong V8 works just fine and can be tolerable at highway speeds. But it's still not quite like having that 6th gear overdrive to quiet things down on a long cruise. One more significant item to consider when shopping.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...