View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 04:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
OK, I'll put it another way. As others have mentioned, in this space, cheap usually means cheap although there can be exceptions. Don't buy a 30K car unless you get it inspected by a professional. For sure don't buy it sight unseen unless you personally know the history or it has block chain level tracking with individuals you trust. There are deals to be had but don't let first time buyer's enthusiasm get in the way of proper vetting of the car.

Good luck.
Of course you would want to have a Cobra replica inspected by someone before buying it. In the case of buying one off a "Bring A Trailer" auction, you would be wise to be looking at something local enough to inspect in person and bring along another Cobra enthusiast who has worked on or built one of these. Or maybe consider one for sale in another area where you know another Cobra enthusiast who could look at it for you.

The OP mentioned a budget of 30K to 40K. In terms of pricing for some recently selling FFRs on "Bring A Trailer", it seems that 40K to 45K might get a nice looking car, but you should still get someone to look at it before bidding.

I don't see anything selling around 30K though. Now consider this car that sold for 37K:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ac-cobra-6/

That car looks scary to me. I wouldn't even bother asking another Cobra enthusiast to look at it for me.

30K doesn't seem realistic unless you want an unfinished project.