Old 09-13-2021, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
Sent the scammer a msg. His reply to me

Interesting response, especially considering he refers to the car interchangeably as "1967 Shelby AC Cobra 427 SC" and "This is a real AC Cobra 427 SC". I appreciate this isn't a CSX car, but a real COB car would be valued much higher than the asking price. A COB car also would have round main chassis tubes and wouldn't have a plate that says "Manufactured by Shelby American Inc."

My advice to any prospective purchaser: Know what you're buying - and that this car isn't a real COB car or one build by either AC Cars or Shelby American.

Edit: I just sent this to the eBay listing:

Your listing refers to the car interchangeably as "1967 Shelby AC Cobra 427 SC" and "This is a real AC Cobra 427 SC". Shelby (CSX) and AC (COB / COX) cars would have round main chassis tubes - which this car doesn't have. The plate says "Manufactured by Shelby American Inc.", but that would make it a CSX car - which it's clearly not.

Who is the manufacturer of this car?

It will be interesting to see what kind of response I get.

Edit 2: Seller's response: "If it were a Shelby car it would be worth a half a million or more. It is an AC production (British Made). Not an aluminum bodied car or again, it would be worth a half a million or more."

My follow-up: "If it was built by AC it will have round frame tubes and either a COB or COX (export) frame number. It doesn't have round frame tubes, so it's not an AC.

I hate to repeat myself, but what make is this car?"

Edit 3: Seller: "I hate to repeat myself as well. It is an AC production."

My follow-up: "What proof do you have that this is an "AC production" car? What's the COB number?"

If the Seller truly believes it's an AC production vehicle he's mistaken. Reported to eBay as a "vehicle misrepresentation".

Edit 4: Seller: "Yes, it has a four digit COB XXXX chassis number."

My follow-up: "Please provide the number."

Edit 5: Seller: "You will have to come see it in person. I am not giving the info out on a public forum."

My follow-up: "Many COB, COX, CSX, Kirkham and Superformance cars (and others) are listed with their numbers. Providing the number allows prospective buyers to check provenance. The only risk to "giving the info out on a public forum" is risk to you in exposing the listing as misrepresentation or fraud.

Anybody can take a set of stamps and mark chassis tubes with a number. Your unwillingness to provide the numbers speaks volumes.

I'm done.

BTW: I've reported this listing to eBay as "vehicle misrepresentation"."

Edit 6: Seller: "It is not misrepresenting anything. Don’t threaten me with your bulls**t. You can go f**k yourself. Why don’t you come see the vehicle and we can handle matters in person. Otherwise, just keep hiding behind the internet you pu**y." [Note: apparently CC's profanity filter removes seller's nasty words.]

My response: "Classy response. Not!

BTW, mature adults don't need insults to communicate."

Edit 7: I thought I was done with this guy, but apparently not. Seller: "Real adults don’t need to try to threaten someone with misrepresentation or fraud when you don’t know what you are talking about. Keep hiding behind the internet. You are a real tough guy. Stay in Canada and dream about America and our fine cars."

My response: "Yes, I'm in Canada, and I have a Cobra of my own - but I don't advertise it as something it's not. I also know a number of folks in my community with Superformance, Factory Five, Classic Roadsters and other replicas. None of us represent our cars as anything other than they are.

I was born at night, but not last night. I do know what I'm talking about.

It's a Cobra replica, but don't post it as a Shelby or AC car when those cars used round main tubes - while your car has rectangular tubes. That's a clear giveaway that the chassis wasn't built by AC. I'm not accusing you of doing it, but COB numbers could be stamped by anyone if they wanted to misrepresent it as a genuine AC car. Providing the COB number allows for that provenance to be validated.

Have a great day."

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-13-2021 at 10:26 AM..