View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hi Gary,

Our compliance is a little different to yours in Queensland. If I change anything from “standard” on the engine, the car will need to be subjected to an IM240 emissions test… and that I do want to avoid. Any changes I make need to be legal; the car is worth too much to risk any insurance issues.

So, what to do? Our club started looking at obtaining the same freedoms that the street rod guys have, particularly for emissions (ie virtually no boundaries), but they also have so many other freedoms. We are not far down that (long, long) track yet, but I’m hoping we can get there some time in the future.

Back to your question, ideally I would like the downdraft Webers as that is what the 289 Comp and FIA cars (and also COB6008, my “inspiration” car) used. The JWA GT40s at LM in ’68 and ’69 used a similar setup, but on a 302. My Alfa has twin side draft Webers, so I have a connection there as well. Back closer to the real world, a nicely set up Holley would probably be a better compromise, but doesn’t look quite as good.

There you go… that’s a long response without actually answering your question

Cheers!
Glen