View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Ok, I'm going to address a couple of different people here:

Ed, I built this engine.....9-10 years ago. There is nothing wrong with how the guide looks in that photo. The spring locator looks to be a beehive spring locator and there is ample room above the locator for a valve seal. Everything there looks completely normal. What you don't see is the shouldered part of the guide that bottoms out against the floor of the cylinder head. It's hidden by the spring locator.

Olivier, I'm sorry you're having trouble, I really am, but this is not an assembly issue or wrong component selection issue. Just like every other FE builder in the US, I buy bare cylinder heads and assemble them with the valve springs and components to match the camshaft. Everything is checked, including spring pressures, coil bind clearances, etc., and if you have your build sheet, that information will be on there.

If you don't know how heads are assembled, bare castings have the guides fitted. The guides are ordered to fit the heads. The guides are then diamond honed to fit the valves. A valve job is completed. Then the heads are assembled with the correct components. I simply can't fathom how many sets of CNC ported Edelbrock heads went through Keith Craft's shop back around this time period. I would say literally thousands of pairs. Since only so many shops in the US have CNC machines to port heads, I have bought many sets of Edelbrock/Pond heads from Keith over the years.

I don't know what caused your issue. I have never seen anything like that before. The only thing I can come up with is some kind of hardness problem with the guides, where they were softer than they should have been? Other than that, I don't know how this engine has been treated over the past 9 years, how the car has been driven, etc.

It may seem strange to the customer, but there are things that sometimes happen that are not the builder's fault. We don't make the parts, all we can do is measure, check, blueprint, and assemble to the best of our ability.

My advice is to put new guides and valves in the heads and that's simply all I can advise being this far away and not having seen this engine for the past 9-10 years.

Last edited by blykins; 09-16-2021 at 03:35 AM..