View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 06:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybones View Post
Is anybody using...
Ray, this is a pretty good short thread on oil for you: Oil Change With a SFT car that gets driven only so many miles a year, you want to keep your eye on the ZDDP levels, your oil pressure levels, the "cling" factor of the oil, and the lab reports. I spend more on lab reports than I do on the oil itself and only change it every three or four years -- and probably don't even need to change it that often. Just like your physician is watching your bloodwork trends over the years to keep an eye on your health, you do the same with your oil's lab work. The presence of wear metals, or moisture, or antifreeze, any unusual new changes, etc. will all tip you off to a problem that is coming your way. One subtle point on the Zinc/Phos nunbers -- the lab report doesn't tell you if the Zinc & Phos are still part of the virgin alkyl/aryl molecule or whether the ZDDP has already been "sacrificed" because of metal to metal contact. You have to keep track of that yourself by knowing what your original levels were and how many miles you've put on the oil, along with any wear metal variances. But you don't have to overthink it. Just use a quality SFT oil, like BradPenn or Joe Gibbs, or any of the others, and have it tested after you've put maybe 500 miles on it, and then periodically thereafter.