View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

I think I have stated before on this post that Shelby was a "racer" as was Porsche! They both liked Automobiles and performance. They were both masters of seeing what could be.
Shelby did not have the vision of design from scratch that Porsche had but understood how to assemble the right parts from off the shelf to obtain the performance he was after!

Shelby would have used any mfg's parts (and did) to reach his goal. We forget how many different car mfgs he raced for in his career. Speed and winning was all that mattered to Ol Shel!

I will point out that an original is original only once! Every copy thereafter is just a copy. Even his Cobra cars were copies with varying parts and changes to the configuration of the 1st one. He changed them because he saw ways to improve them, was not able to obtain parts or needed to deliver a car now to maintain the company.

Try to remember each of us making "our vision" of a Cobra is doing exactly the same thing. We have preferences of components and availability of parts (due to cost and what is on hand). Otherwise we would all be bidding on the handful of originals and not "replicas" would exist. And many of the "replicas" today outperform the originals, in handling, acceleration, and reliability.

Thom