View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     

My activities related to our Cobra CSX2049 was to assist the mechanics, tow it to race tracks along with my friend Tim and to detail it prior to races. Paul was training me to drive competitively as we wanted to drive as a father and son team in the enduro type races but the governing bodies of the racing organizations would not grant competition licenses to anyone under 21 years of age. This angered both Paul and myself because they did allow international drivers under 21 to compete, most notably the Rodriquez brothers (Pedro and Ricardo) of Mexico who I believe were 19 and 17 respectively. Once he let me put on his driving suit, helmet and face shield to take the Cobra out to scuff and warm up the tires.

The one time I did not go to the race was for the Willow Springs race at which he was killed in the accident. I was on a short trip with my fiancee making plans for our wedding on February 14, 1964, and read the Sunday morning Times that he had died. I immediately called my mom and she confirmed his death and asked for me to come home.