View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_COWBOY View Post
My activities related to our Cobra CSX2049 was to assist the mechanics, tow it to race tracks along with my friend Tim and to detail it prior to races. Paul was training me to drive competitively as we wanted to drive as a father and son team in the enduro type races but the governing bodies of the racing organizations would not grant competition licenses to anyone under 21 years of age. This angered both Paul and myself because they did allow international drivers under 21 to compete, most notably the Rodriquez brothers (Pedro and Ricardo) of Mexico who I believe were 19 and 17 respectively. Once he let me put on his driving suit, helmet and face shield to take the Cobra out to scuff and warm up the tires.

The one time I did not go to the race was for the Willow Springs race at which he was killed in the accident. I was on a short trip with my fiancee making plans for our wedding on February 14, 1964, and read the Sunday morning Times that he had died. I immediately called my mom and she confirmed his death and asked for me to come home.
Once again, I'd like to express my respect and appreciation for Ned and all that he does - including patiently sharing his knowledge with the rest of us here in this thread. I also find it difficult to outright dismiss or disbelieve all of your personal accounts and memories of you and your stepfather's involvement with the car. Maybe I'm just caught up with the sentimental side of the issue; but I can't shake the feeling that there must be some truth in your accounts.

May I politely ask a few questions about what you remember about the car between race events - when it wasn't at the track?

- Where was it kept - did it go home with you and Paul from the track?

- Did Paul state that he actually owned the car as opposed to just campaigning it as the driver?

- Did Paul ever talk about the purchase of the car and it's subsequent conversion to race specs?

I suppose what I'm asking is whether it's possible that Paul Cunningham was given care and custody of CSX2049 by a hands-off owner (Abiden?) while he raced it; and people just assumed that the car was his - or do you remember or have anything specific that can credibly show that he had title?

Thanks for sticking around as well and keeping the dialogue open.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 11-01-2021 at 07:14 AM..