View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Once again, I'd like to express my respect and appreciation for Ned and all that he does - including patiently sharing his knowledge with the rest of us here in this thread. I also find it difficult to outright dismiss or disbelieve all of your personal accounts and memories of you and your stepfather's involvement with the car. Maybe I'm just caught up with the sentimental side of the issue; but I can't shake the feeling that there must be some truth in your accounts.

May I politely ask a few questions about what you remember about the car between race events - when it wasn't at the track?

- Where was it kept - did it go home with you and Paul from the track?

- Did Paul state that he actually owned the car as opposed to just campaigning it as the driver?

- Did Paul ever talk about the purchase of the car and it's subsequent conversion to race specs?

I suppose what I'm asking is whether it's possible that Paul Cunningham was given care and custody of CSX2049 by a hands-off owner (Abiden?) while he raced it; and people just assumed that the car was his - or do you remember or have anything specific that can credibly show that he had title?

Thanks for sticking around as well and keeping the dialogue open.
Thank you for your interest and comments.

Between races the car was kept in our garage or was at the mechanics facilities being prepared for the next event. Usually the car came home with us after the race. Depending on what was to be done it would then go to the mechanic, or in the case of the last Willow Springs Race, it was going to SAI on Monday morning for major upgrades (this is substantiated by a written communication and published account of another driver that had discussed it with him while they were on the starting paddock before the race).

We had other race cars before the CSX2049 Cobra and they were family owned, Paul did drive other racer's cars on request, but not as a regular situation, as he was quite experienced and could then share his opinions on what may be needed to make their cars more competitive, lots of bench racing going on as it's only a part of the game.

The CSX2049 Cobra was already competition race prepared when it arrived at our house, trailered not driven, it was not registered for street use, Powerine Oil was the first and only sponsor while the Cobra was campaigned by Paul. I actually found a check stub from Powerine Oil for payment to Paul for the Willow Springs Race and have never heard of Ann Abidin or her son who some claim hired Paul to drive their car. Didn't happen. Isn't it very strange that an owner of such a state of the art race car, obviously excited about their car, have it converted from street to competition by SAI, then would hire someone to race the car for them and never come to an event, tech inspection, pits, race, post race ceremonies, etc. In addition, on the entry forms for the races and in the race programs never be shown as entrant, owner, sponsor, etc. while we owned the CSX2049 Cobra. Possibly they owned it or another chassis prior to Paul and then sold it before we owned CSX2049.