View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What isthe last year the 5.2 flat plane crank voodoo V8 was in the Shelby Mustang?

I've never sampled one but when I heard they would wind to 8,000 rpm
I was curious. I checked and it sounds like it was discontinued in the GT350 Shelby Mustang and GT350-R in 2020 model year, just because it wouldn't meet emissions in Europe.It was rated at a sky-high redline of 8,250 rpm and, of course, 526 horsepower and 429 pound-feet of torque.

From a site called Motorbiscuit

"RELATED: Engines Exposed: What is a Flat-Plane Crankshaft?

First and foremost, a flat-plane configuration means it can be lighter, smaller, and because it has less mass it can be spun faster. That’s also why you can rev the Voodoo past 8,000 RPM, which is kinda crazy. Cross-plane engines require more counterweights which increase weight making it harder to spin.

All of this concludes in a screaming banshee shriek of power. It is in the ballpark of the sound a winged-up Ferrari makes. And guess what? Ferraris are flat-plane-crank driven. The vibrations and shakes can always be mitigated, but more power for less effort means more of an advantage. Advantages are partially what wins races. "

I gather the 2021 Shelby GT500 had an engine called Predator,
a supercharged 5.2-liter V-8 that summons 760 horsepower and 625 pound-feet of torque.But no flat plane crank so to me it wouldn't have the same sound.

Was the engine saved for any 2021 or 2022 Ford or am I already talking history? by the way did the 2020s with that engine go up in value?