Thread: Life in Nevada
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I replied in your other topic.

Southern Nevada is very similar to the Phoenix area as far as desert climate goes. Maybe we're closer to Tucson. Phoenix will usually be 5-10 degrees warmer. But we get our share of 100+ and 110+ days. Very low humidity. Dec-Feb highs in the 60s, overnight lows can be at or slightly below freezing for a small number of days a year. We, just like Phoenix, do get an occasional snow that actually sticks to the roofs and ground but rarely to the roads (and if it does, stay home).

We chose Vegas over Phoenix because of proximity to some very good that we've known since the 80s. It was really a tie, but the tie breaker was that Nevada has no state income tax. Arizona's tax isn't that high, but it's not zero. We also felt at the time that the cost of living in Vegas was cheaper than Phoenix (metro-area to metro-area comparison). Housing was similar (in 2013) for the money, but I don't know how that compares now. [That was based on "what do you get for $X, where 400K<x<300K". Again, that comparison is perhaps no longer valid.]

Weather wise you're similar. And just like in Arizona, across the state you can go from scorching desert to high mountains that get real winter and everything in between.

Just like in the area surrounding Phoenix you can get out of the metro area where things, especially real estate, are cheaper and still have the climate. There are smaller towns around, like Pahrump but you might have to go to "the big city" for some purchases.

In the Vegas valley, Boulder City might be a place to look. It's probably comparable to Apache Junction. You might still find an acre of land but it'll be pricey and come with development restrictions. There are pockets of ancient development that are acre type lots, some with horse privileges, but they are being swallowed up and subdivided.

Unless you happen to like them, HOAs are evil. You can still find areas in Vegas that don't have one. Many will have a landscape maintenance fee shown in the listing as a HOA, but it's not the kind of association that tells you that you can't leave your garage door open or park on the street. Those do exist, and if you're in a gated community it's probably a given. Our area was developed in the late 90s and is a LMA only.

All things considered, between the two areas (Phoenix, Vegas) I'd consider them about the same.

PS. Locals ignore "The Strip". It's a tourist attraction and we only go when we have visitors that want to go there. On the other hand, if you're looking for part time work it's a good place to find a service industry job.

PPS. I forgot to answer your direct question. We left Colorado for either AZ or NV due to my wife's arthritis/fibromyalgia. The hot/dry climate definitely makes a positive difference. She says she can tell when a storm front will come through although I think sometimes she gets hints from the weather station barometer. But for this kind of relief you want the desert climates not Flagstaff or Reno.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-06-2021 at 11:31 AM..