View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
The floor-mounted dimmer switch in my car has bit the dust, and I'd like to replace it with a toggle switch of some sort to be mounted on the dash or nearby. This will alleviate a little congestion in the footbox, I think. I seldom drive at night, and don't use high beams much, so it's not like I'd be using the switch a lot.

The switch should be heavy duty and simply switch between two options, with no "off" position needed.

So far, I haven't run across a suitable switch to use. Does anyone have a suggestion and a source for one?
Don't use the switch to carry the current load, just use it to switch a relay. Connect your power to terminal 30, your low beams to terminal 87a (normally closed) and your high beams to terminal 87 (normally open). Use a SPST switch and connect one switch terminal to battery (+) and the other to terminal 85 on the relay. Relay terminal 86 connects to ground. When you flip the switch to 'On' it will send toggle the power from terminal 87a to terminal 87, switching from low beams to high beams.

See this diagram in this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing