View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Hi there. I am in the process of deciding whether or not buying a replica Cobra is the right choice for me.

I have owned classic cars for long-term: same 1970 car for 31 years. I built everything on it but the trans and rear end. Didn't stitch the seats or spray the paint. That's about it. I have owned modern sports cars- not supercars mind, sports cars, about 10 lbs per bhp. Zippy enough. I've owned modern muscle, in fact I just sold an LS3 powered car and it is the first time since 1989 that I have not owned a V8 powered car.

I have found that my finances unexpectedly allow me to get back into the car hobby as a hobby, if I choose. Hobby as opposed to 'just driving a fun car for fun'. I used to enter into shows. Never thought I'd win and I didn't win anything, but it was fun. I lived and breathed the old car hobby. I have had a couple holy grail cars for a long time: 1965 Corvette coupe, and the Shelby Cobra.

I am lucky enough to be pretty close to two Cobra makers: Factory Five and ERA. The Cobra that I would want is a USRRC 289 example. I don't need or really want the 427/428 etc. I've built larger hotrod engines. Very fun and very cool. But I've done it. The proportions of the 289 style body are best to me. I know what smaller engines can do. And it's the car that pretty much made the legend. Plus I'm a Dan Gurney fan. I'll never own a Gurney/Weslake F1 Eagle, but a Cobra is can-do.

My catches are 1) that I had a stroke at 45- heart defect. You'd never know it if I didn't tell you. I can (and have) repaired and worked on cars since that day, not quite five years ago. In fact I'll be dragging out the long ramps to change oil and inspect my current little fun car before it goes into storage for the winter. But that is a modern car. I love cars of the '60s. The style and even the tech of that era fascinates me. Air conditoning? Great. But wing windows? Count me in. To me, that is the car hobby: the era that grabs your imagination. Catch 2) is that I lost my shop space of 22 years last fall. Storage I can find, but the shop space was a godsend, and it's now gone.

So I would be looking at buying a completed example. I'd prefer to be in a position to build. I'd also prefer to be perfectly healthy and 25 again instead of 50 and slightly broken. I have seen prices all over the map. From what I have researched, an ERA example could be my first choice.

Driving is not a problem in case you're wondering. I was driving a six speed five days after my stroke and the only cars I've owned since then are manuals. My coordination is 99% back. The only thing I don't do much any more is target shooting. I am perfectly safe but the middle finger on my right hand goes numb and then starts to hurt like fire. Sort of like a frostbite type of pain. They say accupuncture is an option. We'll see.
Buy used, let the first owner take the depreciation hit .
Before you buy, make certain to have the car professionally inspected.
As for what you have owned in the past, they mean nothing now, as the Cobra is a car all to itself. Remember this, and repeat it as soon as you walk up to the car "this car will try to kill me as soon as I sit in the drivers seat", keep saying it, respect the car, it will try to kill you, disrespect the car, and it just might kill you, or someone around you. Yes, really.

Read the link in my sig, it's not rocket science, but can seem like it even if the car was factory built.

Most of all, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS