Old 11-14-2021, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Chris,

It sounds like you get it in relative terms, and that you are going in to this with your eyes wide open. This is a good start, but to add to it, as Alpha02 above has, a Cobra is unlike any other car you have ever driven, even with my 20+ years in SCCA/NASA/NHRA racing, I was unprepared for my first (I've owned more than a few since then, with over 100K miles of road and track time under my belt with them) Cobra (an early FFR with a simple 351W/385HP Ford crate engine). I was lucky enough to have survived with little more than my dignity rumpled. It taught me I was not quite as prepared as I thought, but a slow, methodical learning curve had me tearing around Poconos combined infield course and beyond in no time at all. Take it slow, enjoy the ride, and you'll be just fine. As for the car itself, again, take your time, if you are unsure of what you are looking at, reach out to us here, or perhaps a local Cobra club, and ask.

Not to get off track, but I have first dibs on the one here in SC

Bill S.

When I typed my response to you, I figured it was 50/50 you'd get mad. You know how car forums can go. But I reasoned, we have to be adults here, and we don't know each other, so just be up front and you can't go far wrong.

In my shooting hobby, the first thing I do before I touch a firearm is to remember that I don't know it all, and that I can make a serious and deadly mistake. That's why I barely touched a firearm for almost two years after my stroke and then it was to maintain and clean, not shoot.

Last year, Jay Leno drove an original 427 S/C Cobra and he said "this car is like driving a hand grenade". I find that easy to beleive. I think I can sum up- a Cobra gives you the test first, and it teaches you the lesson afterwards.

That's a thing that attracts me to the car. Many adult activities do require a level of responsibility and attention to what you're doing. That's part of the reward in doing it.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 11-14-2021 at 11:05 AM..