View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 08:11 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Oh, wait. I think I misunderstood something important here!

I don't think that is a 1964 registration for CSX2049. It is the application to get a 1964 registration that was never sent into the state because, why bother, the car is wrecked. In that case, having the application to renew the registration for 1964 would imply that Ann owned the car in 1963.
Thinking about this again... $88.00 in 1964 dollars sounds rather expensive for a vehicle registration renewal application fee. Maybe if the registration for a new vehicle purchase just for the first year of registration (as opposed to an annual renewal fee) includes some sort of fee based on a percentage of the purchase price of the vehicle in California back in 1964, that might make me think that the high fee could be indicative that Ann initially purchased the vehicle in 1964 and just never bothered to send in the 1964 registation application because she never planned on driving the wreck. Considering that Lanse's fee was $2.00 for 1967 if that was 1/44th of the fee that Ann paid in 1964, that might make sense of the rather expensive initial registration fee that Ann paid.

Does anyone know how registration fees worked in California back in the 1960s?

Still if the car was first titled in 1964 (and not bothered to be registered) by Ann, wouldn't the initial registation fee be much more reasonable for a wrecked Cobra than $88.00. Keep in mind that $88.00 in 1964 dollars sounds expensive.

Also it seems a bit strange that Lanse would pay a registration fee in 1967 for a wrecked car that cannot be driven. It seems like Lanse would just need to eventually get the car's title in his name and never bother to register it.