View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I will reiterate the advice of a 289 car vs the 427 car. I had always preferred the look of the 427 style. But the large displacement engine never was happy running on the streets, and barely got satisfied on the freeways. You simply can't satisfy its desire for air and fuel unless it's on a track at wide open throttle. It always felt it needed the cobwebs blown out. The large engines aren't happy unless running at higher RPMs and to satisfy that the 5 speed transmission was a waste of time. I spent virtually most of the time in 3rd and 4th just to keep the revs up.

I understand why Shelby wanted the big block in the car, but in essence the Cobra is a frame wrapped around an engine with the sole purpose of moving that engine around a track.

The 289 matches the Cobra much better for street use.
That is probably why, Shelby said he preferred the 428 over the 427! I believe his even had an automatic transmission. A plain 428 street car will stand out in the sea of S/C cars. He also said the last of the 289 Cobra's were the best. When it came time for Carrol to have his last Cobra made, a CSX8000, what did he order, a roller rocker 302 and an auto tranny. I guise that about says it all!