View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Registration, MA

I have used 'search' and found some old threads and comments on the subject of Massachusetts registration, and read through a number of them and...unfortunately old info on law in MA is interesting but not rock steady, let's put it that way. I hope this thread might help somebody besides me, as well.

Obviously a part of deciding if a Cobra is the right choice for me is the question of registering the car. Also obviously the car is not the typical thing the Registry wants to deal with.

I suppose the best case scenario is to buy one already registered in MA, and do what that guy does. I also might go outside and catch 100 dollar bills falling from the sky, but I don't think it will happen.

So what really happens when trying to register such a car in MA? Yes I have visited the MA DMV website LOL. They use terms like "generally", gotta love that. Here's pertinent info:

" Definition of a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Massachusetts

Under MA antique license plate rules, an antique vehicle is a car manufactured at least 25 years ago, which is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades and other public events.

Massachusetts RMV issues custom car registrations to owners of vehicles of a model year at least 25 years old, cars that were produced after 1948 and have been altered from their original design.

Massachusetts laws also distinguish between replica vehicles, which are defined as cars assembled by new or used components that resemble an earlier model and year ride, and specially-constructed cars classified as reconstructed vehicles whose exterior does not replicate any other auto.

In addition to this, a custom auto registration in Massachusetts will also be necessary for kit cars or vehicles whose parts were sold and assembled by the buyer into a complete car, and street rods or cars manufactured before 1949, which have been altered or constructed from non-original materials.
"

OK so MA will deem the car a 'kit car' or a 'replica'. So far so good. I love how they call a car a "ride". Very hip. But on a practical level, a custom car registration would be necessary regardless of 'kit' or 'replica'.

They go on to sate that "you may be required to submit an application form along with a certification and affidavit confirming your vehicle’s age and purpose.". You MAY have to do that. Very good. I feel this may be re: antiques for parades etc.

OK then:

Fill out and submit an RMV-1 form.
Present a completed Application for Replacement of Vehicle Identification Number with the assigned VIN included in the form (if applicable).
Submit the previous certificate of title.
When issuing a registration for a custom car to owners of replica motor vehicles, MA RMV will also require them to submit the certificate of origin from the manufacturer, as well as the bill of sale or invoice for the replica kit. Owners of kit cars will not be able to obtain a registration or sell their ride unless they apply for a new title and pass the RMV’s inspection procedure.

Brilliant! Fill out form. Request a VIN; I suppose that's a case of they charge you to change it to one they like. This also would include MA putting THEIR new VIN on the car where THEY see fit. How and where does this happen I wonder.A COO and the original bill of sale is needed. I deal with legally binding Certificates at my job, what fun. Also get a new title and pass state inspection. I note that they interchangeably use 'replica' and 'kit' near the end.

What's forum members' experience with all this? It is Massachuetts, home sweet home, and I do not expect that all is as it seems.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 11-15-2021 at 01:44 PM..