View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     

It has been stated previously that SAAC has the most complete history of the Cobras manufactured by SAI, having access to files, boxes of records and paperwork, invoices, factory work orders, rebuild documents. Registry Staff to have actually visited the shops wherein the Cobras were rebuilt/restored, etc.

In fact, anyone just perusing the Registry would believe the histories are true and to be believed by the numerous enthusiasts of the marque.

The wording is strong, inclusive, and at least insinuated to be backed up by documentation, proof that the histories are factual. The truth is just the opposite, the narratives are promotional in nature and surely meant to bolster histories and driver involvements with a specific chassis. For instance…

CSX2049 arrives at SAI November 13, 1962, sold to Downtown Ford on January 26, 1963, Sold to Ann Abidin in February 1963, Ann Abidin gifts the car to her son Albert Abidin, Albert Abidin sends the street Cobra to SAI for major conversion from street use to full competition status. Where is the invoicing from AC Cars to SAI? Where is the invoicing from SAI to Downtown Ford? Where is the invoicing from Downtown Ford to Ann Abidin? Where is the factory work orders for the conversion from street to full competition? This was a relatively expensive car in the early 60’s and the conversion work had to be documented as to what is to be done, how much is being charged, probably would have been subject to a substantial deposit before commencing the factory conversions. Isn’t this very convenient that all the documentation is missing?

When you look at the race history as it appears in the Leaf Spring Registry you will find 9 races listed. The first three races were Pomona 4/20-21/1963 #105 A/P driven by Ted Roberts; Cotati 5/12/1963 #300 A/P driven by Allan Grant and owned by Albert Abidin; Pomona 7/13-14/1963 #25 driven by Ted Roberts. The interesting point here is the obvious involvement with the car by Albert Abidin and shown to be the owner of CSX2049.

The next 6 races were Cotati 7/27-28/1963 #246 A/P driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham; San Luis Obispo 8/17-18/1963 #37 A/P driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham; Santa Barbara 9/1/1963 #37 A/P driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham; Times GP Riverside 1 hour GT 10/13/1963 #37 driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham, sponsor is Powerine Oil; Laguna Seca 10/19/1963 #37 driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham, sponsored is Powerine Oil; Willow Springs 11/16/1963 #37 driven by Paul Cunningham, entrant is Paul Cunningham; sponsor is Powerine Oil. The interesting point here is that Ann Abidin nor Albert Abidin are identified or shown anywhere as owners or entrants of CSX2049. They didn’t exist as I have stated before, they were never at our house, not at the garage where the car was race prepped, not at the prerace tech inspections, not in the pits, not at the post race banquets/awards ceremonies. This is not the actions of an involved car owner and definitely not the involvement as demonstrated previously as in the first three races in which CSX2049 was entered.

In my opinion, this is the point in time wherein the Abidins were removed from the real history of CSX2049 and to be reinserted later in the history to bolster and increase value to the car being built by Hasselrig/Wesselink. The history had to be fleshed out and established as the saleable history in the most prestigious Cobra history basis, the SAAC Registry.

There is a definite break in the ownership after the first 3 races, the history gets very foggy here due to a lack of supporting documentation, but it is compelling that during the next 6 races Paul Cunningham is the only identifiable owner. The car was wrecked on 11/16/1963 and was taken to SAI for examination. Here is the point in time that someone interested in the CSX2049 chassis must fill in the missing history elements. SAI decides to obtain a lien on the wrecked chassis in April 1964 and Albert Abidin conveniently reappears taking possession of the car placing it in storage. Ann Abidin reappears and agrees to sell Hasselrig the wrecked car for $400 under some very unconventional terms and conditions. Has anyone ever used the AAA to make installment payments for the purchase of a vehicle? In 1967, Hasselrig completes the payment plan and becomes the owner of CSX2049.

In my past, I have had many friends, some of which have influenced me in my search for the truth and provided me with the fortitude to stay active in my quest to correct the history of CSX2049 and the driving and ownership of the privately campaigned Cunningham Cobra.

I asked a detective friend of mine how he goes about determining the truth when competing stories are at hand and there can be but one truth. His simple answer was to follow the money, who benefits from the narrative. Following his advice, we have the Abidins, we have the SAAC Registry, we have Hasselrig/Wesselink, all three are key players; however, the Abidins are deceased, the SAAC Registry exists and is an asset, the Hasselrig/Wesselink car exists and is a substantial asset. The most valuable asset is the car being built by Hasselrig/Wesselink once completed it would be one of very few factory competition prepared privateer Cobras that helped SAI to attain Manufacturer status. An estimate of value could be $2-$5 million based upon several similar Cobras selling at auction.

Hasselrig/Wesselink have been involved in this chassis for nearly 50 years, and they recognized the weakness in the CSX2049 history. I was personally approached by Wesselink on Friday, May 21, 2010 11:37 PM wherein he asked me to contact him leaving his phone number and email address. This was, in my opinion, a fishing expedition to gain additional information to bolster his history and involvement in CSX2049. I declined to participate in this history building effort by Wesselink.

We know that Hasselrig/Wesselink are capable of using legal action to further their efforts in legitimizing their CSX2049 reconstruction as they won their legal action against the State of California gaining title to the chassis CSX2049. In their efforts to gain title, it has been previously pointed out that they presented false evidence related to that chassis. It appears that the State was misled, and the title was awarded to Hasselrig/Wesselink for the wrecked CSX2049 chassis in error.

A question comes to mind, “Who actually pieced the history together as it is currently published”? In addition, Who benefits most from a clean and distinct title history? Is it possible that the history was written by those who will benefit the most? What pressure might be brought upon the Registry to back the sanitized title history? Legal actions are great motivators.

And here we are, everyone is protecting their turf, preserving their image, polishing and buffing the history, and ultimately enjoying yet another financially successful Air-Car.