View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary guru's, what do these numbers on the frame and body signify?

I have seen many CCX owners refer to their cars as CCX-**** with various numbers where the asterisks in my example. I have been told by many CCX guys more knowledgable than I that my car is a very early CCX car. For example, my car was built with provisions for rear end trailing arms welded to the frame, a practice that I'm told was discontinued early in CCX production.

I know the CCX numbers are usually located on the main fram rail aft of the drivers side front wheel. I have older notes on the car that I checked tonight. The only numbers my car has there are "121281-3" Now that I see this, it strikes a memory, albeit a very vague memory, that way back in the early days the cars were numbered by build date, with the frame number signifying that build date. In this case I seem to remember that this number on my car signifies that the frame was built on December 12, 1981, and that it was the third frame built on that date. Does that strike a bell with any of you CCX gurus? Also, on a paper label stuck to the interior side of the firewall was a sticker indicating body number 112. I'm not sure if it's even still there.

I started a thread a few days ago (located here - Question about selling an older build eligable for overseas sale ) about the ability to one day sell this car overseas where often the car needs to be of a certain age. I wonder if these markings would in any way assist in that. Of course if my guess on the numbers signifying a December 1981 date of manufacture is correct, that does nothing to signify the date of the actual build, which I believe is what most of the foreign statutes are based off of.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?