View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 07:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Interesting story, which I've been reading since it was started. I sympathize with Paul's son, but I think too many years have passed to undo what has taken place legally. I do think Paul bought the car, but without legal paper, cannot be proven. Maybe he never finished paying, but more likely he said nothing to anyone and left the paperwork where it was never found. After he died, this wrecked chassis/car was pretty-much worthless except for the engine and trans. No one cared enough to file or chase the required paperwork after it was wrecked. Shelby American probably just scrapped the remains and that was that. No one ever would have thought at that time these cars would appreciate as they have. Only later did someone think to find the old title, which was probably forgotten. A few years later, someone had the idea to use this title to reconstruct a 'phantom' Cobra.
All speculation here, but I think the remains in their entirety were scrapped (less engine & trans) and everyone got on with their business. That left Paul's son hanging on...
CSX 2049 is surely a fake and should not be among the true Cobras, but that's for guys like Ned to determine. These are my thoughts and opinions, and are not to be taken as fact.