View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 07:05 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_COWBOY View Post
So when Michael is saying that his family was never contacted by Shelby about getting the wreck back, it would appear to me that if his mom is the legal owner, she is ignoring the calls and letters from Shelby, OR his family is not the legal owner of the car as found out by Shelby through the DMV. Is it possible that the DMV had a mix up and told Shelby American the wrong name and contact for the legal owner? That sounds unlikely if Shelby American contacted the bank, about the loan for CSX2049 as that would have confirmed the name and contact of the legal owner.The car was not purchased for street use (not involving the DMV), it was always trailered and was probably not financed through the normal channels

It is also a bit odd that Michael did not make an effort to go over to Shelby American after a week or less and ask to get the wreck back himself, but maybe he is busy dealing with a distraught mother who needs to deal with a funeral and settling an estate.Yes, I had my hands full. Still is Michael just going to go for months or more without asking Shelby American are they done with the wreck yet? I had no idea how long Shelby would be in examining the car, it was a total and at that time I didn't have any idea of it(the wreck) being valuable, and in the bigger picture I had just lost my dad, my mother was a mess, a 6 year old half-sister, a drunken uncle and an air-head aunt. Pretty much on my own as a newly drafted male head of household.
Ok, you had a lot of bigger problems going on with family and planning on moving to another state than to think about the wreck at Shelby American. You say you didn't realize the wreck would be valuable. Being a competition car, you family could not make an insurance claim on it to recover the cost. If you did get the wreck back, you don't really want it in your driveway or garage to remind your distraught mother about the horrible crash. Realistically if you got the wreck back, and you have no clue it will some day be valuable and don't want it upsetting your mom, I suspect that you would most likely have sold it for scrap yourself and got the equivalent of a few hundred dollars in today's money. Anyway if you sold the car for scrap or Shelby sold it for scrap for being abandoned, does it really matter that someone else could purchase the wreck from the junk yard and own it and try to "restore" it?

There may or may not be some frame parts in the European car, but that car doesn't have a legitimate title. There is a title without any real parts from the wreck in California. I guess you could discredit the California car as just a replica if it gets finished. After all CompClassics doesn't want to touch that project he after researched it. He considers CSX2049 to no longer exist.

If you want a car, but lost the title back in 1964, I think the best that you will be able to do is build a nice replica of your father's car, but I don't think you have the time or the money to do that.

So at this point it seems that your focus is to get the registry to say your father owned the car. I don't know where you will be able to find any paper work to support that claim now. Perhaps your best bet would be to find one or more living Shelby American employees who remembers the abandoned wreck. Employees who remember the wreck being in the way and remember how Shelby's secretary and comptroller were repeatedly trying to contact Paul's widow about taking the wreck back. I don't know if any living employee will remember that, but maybe getting an affidavit from one or more Shelby employees to back up your story of Paul owning the car would be enough evidence for Ned?