View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 91 CLassic Roadster 460ci
Not Ranked     
Default Fiberglass repair results

Several weeks ago I posted a question related to repairing a butchered fiberglass cutout the previous builder did to the door latch area. After reviewing the responses I decided to go for it. I ground the surfaces on both sides. I then applied two layers of chopped glass. After curing I clamped in place an aluminum angle to act as a dam to form the upper tapered inlet surface. I first coated it with a thin layer of silicone grease to act as a release agent. Next I drilled thru the new fiberglass backer and positioned three flathead screws that are used to secure the latch. They also were coated with silicone grease. I then mixed up d some JB Weld. I let it set up for about 90 minutes so that it was not so runny. I applied the JB Weld around the screws and against the dam. I used a razor blade to level the epoxy. After cured I removed the dam, the screws and the dam. I lightly sanded the area and cut out the backer in the triangular opening. A little primer later and all looks great. Thanks for the help
Attached Images