View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into all that and I greatly appreciate it. The biggest problem I have now is that the car isn't here with me just yet. I can't visualize how all that would fit together and look, as my column is very different than the column you show in your photos. You can see in your photo that the column rises up from the dash as a relatively thin column then bells out to a much larger diamter where it meets the wheel. Mine is narrow and stays that way all the way up to the wheel. It is (I believe) a MGB column that Contemporary supplied with all their kits at the time. I tried to attach a picture from the internet of what the MGB column looks like but for some reason this forum can't upload images the images right now, the upload keeps showing as failed.

My steering wheel is a genuine wood rimmed Moto Lita, but for the life of me I can't recall how they make the skinny column mount to the back of the large wheel hub diameter. Once I see that then it'll all make sense. Looking at the quick release hub you suggested, It would appear that the splined center shaft of the column would not mount to that hub using the splines and center nut, as there is no menton at all about spline count and diameter. I'm guessing that the part of the quick release hub that mounts to the column gets welded to the center shaft of the column? I suppose all of this will make more sense to me when I actually have the car here in hopefully a couple of weeks when it's finally released from interior shop prison. I've seen photos of it and it's coming out really nicely, I do occasionally get to go visit and see it when I'm in town and not working. The guy does really nice work. After all these years it'll be nice to have it finally done.