View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Ah, I remember now. It uses either this or something very similar to mount my Moto Lita steering wheel to my MGB column. Hopefully this photo will upload.

EDIT: Ok, seeing how this picture upload finally worked, I guess I'd need to figure out how to get the quick release to mount to the face of this column to wheel hub as pictured. That's the part I guess I'm havng a hard time visualizing. Assuming I am correct that thhe quick release you showed fits between the steering wheel and this column to wheel adapter hub, how does the part of the quick release that stays in the car mount to this hub? I assume it bolts to the face of this hub, and if the bolt pattern doesn't match I could just redrill the correct pattern to the hub that is pictured here?
Nothing needs to be welded, everything is a bolt together deal.

The hub in your picture needs to be machined down by the thickness of the QR hub (about a half inch) to maintain original steering wheel location, if that is important to you. The portion of the QR hub that rests agains the original steering hub is then bolted to your mofdified hub. You will likely need to drill and tap new attaching holes.

The portion that is next to the steering wheel is bolted to the steering wheel. Again the QR hub does not have the Moto-Lita bolt pattern so you will need to add it for attachment purposes.

The two QR pieces engage with a rotary bayonet style of engagement with no slop in the connection. While driving the car you will not know you have a QR steering wheel and most eyes will not recognize the device for what it is.

The narrow column will represent more of a visual aesthetic offense than an operational problem. Worth noting, the QR hub is very close to the diameter of most steering hubs so it may not be particularly apparent in the finished condition.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.