View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I was about to declare Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! but I noticed something missing.

There is a thumb grip on the easier to open and close versions. It looks like the one in the red circle in the pic below;

If you don't have it, these gems are impressively difficult to release to remove the steering wheel.

The release procedure is to place your thumb in the thumb rest, depress the release lock button (180˚ opposite) with your second index finger and twist counter clockwise a quarter turn. Then you can lift the wheel off.

Without the thumb grip you need impressively strong fingers to release the steering wheel.

The guys who offer the versions with the thumb grip add the princely sum of $10 to the selling price.

Ed

p.s. If you decide to go this way let me know and I will send you an XL speed sheet to help position any new fastener holes you need to create. If you give the spreadsheet the bolt circle diameter and the number of holes it will give you X/Y coordinates for each hole so you are dead on target. There is also an offset function, if you want to get fancy, that will allow you to offset all holes by what ever amount you need for proper alignment.
I like the thumb grip on the one you found but the guy got back to me and he doesn't have black and won't for the forseeable future. I'll see what the cheapie looks and performs like, if it's not up to par then I'll report back here for guys who search down the road with the same question, and I'll just spring for the NRG real deal hub.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 11-24-2021 at 06:30 PM..