View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
... This area of the trunk still isn't sealed ....but I really can't see how I can 100% seal it against dust and water ingress ...
Hi Glen,

Nice work with the trim panel, looks like the boot / trunk is pretty well sealed up. How much dirt / dust / water will find its way in is hard to say, probably not much at all but time will tell.

If you really want to get the last bits closed off around the push rod and spring & damper shaft, here are a few ideas if you are so inclined:

- Fabricate some more aluminum panels to box the whole area in. The downside is you cover up the suspension bits, which are works of art themselves.

- Close the area off with some leather 'flaps'. Outline the area with self adhesive velcro then fabricate some leather 'flaps' or a 'bag' with Velcro sewn onto the edges to cover the whole area. No holes to drill and if it you don't like it, the self adhesive velcro will come off and the glue cleans up with some isopropyl alcohol. Once again, the downside is it hides the suspension.

- Fabricate a gaiter / boot similar to what is used for a gear shift lever, from the top of the spring perch to the area where it exits the boot / trunk. A drawstring on the top and a split ring & screws on the bottom or use velcro. This would leave the rocker arms exposed. The pushrods are a bit simpler, some kind of a split leather or rubber washer / gasket.

Best bet is to probably just continue making great progress in getting the car up & running and see if it's an issue down the road, so to speak.

- Tim