View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
I'd say a V8-swapped Healey is similar, but it's no Cobra. They are known as "Nasty Boys" in the Healey community and are looked down upon by the purists. But having put a small block Ford in my Healey after driving it with the six-cylinder lump I can say it is a much, much better car. Donald Healey had said he would have put a V8 in his cars if he had access to them and Carroll Shelby originally went to Healey to make his car. The most Cobra-like one would be an early car like this one (which should have a 5 speed transmission)L

https://bringatrailer.com/2010/11/28...ey-weslake-v8/

My car (in my signature) is a later car with roll-up windows and convertible top, a bit more civilized. The drivetrain with a 345 small block Ford, 5 speed and 3.54 rear is probably pretty much like what would be in a Cobra replica.

But given the choice between the Healey and a Cobra, I'd take the Cobra.
Why do they look down at the V8 Healey's, don't they know anything about the history of Healey? Donald Healey was so impressed with Briggs Cunningham's Cadillac V8 powered Silverstone, that he had his guys install a Caddy V8 in a Silverstone, then asked Cadillac if they would sell him some engines, they said no! So Healey went the Allard rout, and sent over cars sans engine and tranny, sound familiar? So, while many V8 Healey's are yank and stuff cars, others are from the factory meant for a V8 from the start!