View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 04:48 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Hi Bill,

In California the transition from black & yellow plates to blue & yellow plates happened right around 1970.

If the GT500 was licensed in Calif when new in '68, it would have had a black and yellow plate (3 letters & 3 numbers). If the '72 Mustang was licensed in Calif when new in '72, it should have had a blue and yellow plate (3 numbers & 3 letters).

I have a car that was issued a black plate in July of '69 and it starts with a 'Z'. Had another car licensed in '72 with a blue plate and it started with an 'F'.

Some people have painted blue plates black or perhaps someone put a black plate on the '72 Mustang that you had, but that would not have been the norm.

- Tim
Here in Pennsylvania, it is possible to move an old plate to a new car. For example, I have sold an older car, took the plate off of it and then transferred that plate onto the next car I bought. I guess I might have saved a few bucks that way, but for all I know it might cost the same regardless of reusing the old plate or getting a new one. Anyway, you don't have to get a new plate in Pennsylvania when you purchase a car. It could be that California allows the same thing.