View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 03:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Hello folks, it's been a few years since I was last posting on CC forum - my last thread about adapting a CSX roll bar onto SPF318, which worked out magically.

I am purchasing a 50th anniversary CSX 7000 series FIA car that's never been on the road. It has the Ingles 8-stack weber intake on a 289/347 stroker motor. I live in Connecticut and was looking for suggestions on where to take the car to get it properly tuned and calibrated for some fun. Also curious if there is anyone willing to provide their insights on the future of CSX cars, values, prices etc. I'd love to get a read on the forum to see about trends on which models are likely to become more desireable/collectible in the future.

I considered ordering a new CSX which is around 14-18 months of waiting and I also heard that prices for new CSX cars are about to increase as part of the general inflationary trend. While I'm not expecting this purchase to be a substitute for financial investment, I think this car will hold value and might even appreciate.

My original leaning was toward a 427 but I've had 5 cobras before (3 SPF, 1 CCX, 1 Shell Valley) and I want to try something different (for me). One of the things that stands out about the 289 is the normalized foot boxes that conform to the smaller powerplant footprint of the 289 and might be a bit more fun driving. I was shopping for an ERA 427 but could not find one. I'll keep my eyes out for a late model ERA 427 S/C in case my purchase falls through. I still need the CSX to get titled and inspected since it's still on the MSO, and the current owner/dealer is going to handle this for me.

As always, I appreciate this forum and its wonderful members that have provided so many helpful hints and fixes. Club Cobra has been such a benefit to all cobra enthusiasts and a shoutout to all that contribute their time and passion for this wonderful hobby we all enjoy! God bless all of you and your families this holiday season, Merry Christmas!
Franky,

I think you'll enjoy the difference between the SC and FIA/roadster configuration, having now completed my trilogy of such body and chassis styles. If your plans include time on the track, you'll, find the FIA more than capable, just take the learning curve a bit slower, as the original chassis/suspension combo takes getting used to vs what you have owned to date. As for values, or future values, don't get caught up in the "investment grade" or "investment quality" that the manufacturer/dealers hype. As long as they continue to pump them out, the investment level will be flat. Instead, view the car as the desirable toy that it is, get in, turn the key, and use it as you see fit, and of course, once again, congratulations, enjoy the ride.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS