View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
It is surprising how often we hear a story of a rare car stowed away in a local house garage and we are totally unaware of its contents.

I remember seeing a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 "Daytona" driving close to my home, and chasing it on foot around a corner to see it disappearing behind a rapidly closing garage door .... luckily for me, the driver appeared outside again and I was able ask about the Daytona and the other four cars that I had caught sight of behind that garage door ....an E-Type (XKE), a Maserati (Khamsin, I think) and two others that I now can't recall their ID.
That said, very few of my neighbours know what is behind my garage doors
Cheers,
Glen
How about a 1966 GT40 MKII in a flimsy tiny wooden shed two miles from my house. I knew the car was around, it visited a July 4 car show after I had already left with my car. I carried a picture of a GT40 MKII in my pocket for years. I showed that picture at garages, corner stores that sold fuel, speed shops, and automobile parts stores, and no one admitted to seeing it for years. One day somebody told me there was a “1967 Shelby” in that shed right over there. I drove by that shed often. I was not looking for a “1967 Shelby”. Fast forward years, it showed up at a SAAC Convention and yes it was the “1967 Shelby” in the shed I failed to go check out. A few years ago I got to talk to the man that owned it while it was in the shed. He paid the exact same amount for it as we did our black Cobra the same year just two months apart. Arghhhhh!

Or. In the 1970s I sold a 1967 GT500 to a man that resold it and got a 1966 black GT350H. He had drove the GT350 frequently including to work. He was in shock one day. Some men with pickup truck were at the home next door. The home owner and the visitors were moving stuff out of the garage into the yard. The pickup truck was backed into the garage and in a little while a 1965 GT350 R Model on a Shelby trailer was pulled out into the sun for the first time in years. The neighbor never mentioned a GT350 in the garage.

Trophy cars can be anywhere.