View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
I had carbs on both cars initially. Now they each have multi port EFI from Holley - the HP model. Considering they were tuned by a rank amateur (me!) they run fine.

I would have kept the carbs except for one thing: the substance we laughingly call gasoline.

When the Cobras were new in the sixties, gasoline was quite different from what we have now. The current boiling point of alcohol-laced gasoline is hardly over 100 degrees F. After a nice run in either car I could watch the Holley carb bowl vents emulate Old Faithful as the lower temp fractions boiled away, flooding the engine.

EFI has a 44 psi fuel pressure that keeps the boiling from happening.

So good luck with the carbs...

Tom

PS: the no-alcohol gasoline may help with a carb - never tried it, as it wasn't available when I had to switch.
I am more then old enough to remember Ethyl gas, Tetraethyl. Man did that smell good! Little did we know that at the New Jersey Dupont Deep Water plant, the building where Ethyl was made, had the nick name, The House Of Butterfly's, because the men would try to brush off, and chase imaginary bugs, and sometimes, chase them out second story windows. At least 16 workers went violently insane, and died in strait jackets. Then again, I can remember being in the pits at the inaugural Denver Air Race when the fuel truck for the unlimited racers came out with the 180 octane fuel. There was a warning on each side of the tank simply stating, Fatal If Inhaled!