View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I should explain who Steve Volk is, I assumed (And you know when you assume) everyone knew He is the head (Curator) of the Shelby American Collection (Boulder Colo.) and just happens to own a couple of very significant Cobras one being CSX2345 (Last all org. 289FIA Cobra), and an all-around good guy. Sorry I didn't point this out, on my earlier post. Cheers
The Shelby American Collection is THE place to see Cobras and GT40s. Between Volk and the Larry H Miller collection there are more Shelbys in one location there than any other place on the planet. Last time I was there there were 7 GT40s under one roof. The majority are owned by Volk and the Millers, and other choice examples of race winning cars are privately held but on permanent display.

CSX2000 (Carroll's original Cobra of many colors) lives there when it is not making public appearances.

If you're in the Denver area, the museum is a must see. It's only open on Saturday though so plan accordingly.

The annual fundraiser (now on the Saturday before Labor Day) is attended by many of the original California Shelby crowd. Carroll attended until his health didn't allow it any more.(In fact, it used to be a Christmas party, but was moved to the fall for Carroll's health reasons). Bob Bondurant, Peter Brock, Aaron Shelby and many others are regular attendees. Bob passed away and also didn't attend the last one for health reasons. So the "crowd" is getting thin. If you want a chance to meet them, get to one of the parties soon! The ticket is cheap plus it's an open bar, BBQ buffet and ice cream all included Maybe with the sweepstakes profits they'll finally start moving forward with a larger facility that isn't a warehouse tucked in a corner of Niwot.

Besides Steve, the other principals are the Murray Brothers (Bill and Dave), world renounded Cobra restorers. Dave is a vintage racer who has driven many of the in the museum to win in vintage races. They are the ones that are always there on Saturday.

(I used to live only a few miles from the museum and went every three or 4 months to check out what was new. Pay careful attention to the areas behind the cars - floors and walls - there are truly some gems hanging around there.)

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-20-2022 at 05:51 AM..