View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Can you help direct my search?

Good morning y'all!

I'm here to learn. using the search function, I haven't seen this specific query used here, so I'm going to hope you'll indulge me a bit, and help direct me to applicable threads, if any.

I'm looking to purchase my first Cobra, and I need to know what the right things to know are. I don't know how different all of the various builds (and builders?) are, really? Or how much it really matters?

Here's what I think I'm looking for, in some sort of ordered-list:
1. I think i want it to be registerable as vintage. My county has tough emissions laws, and I need to be sure I can drive it legally.... what do y'all do about this?
2. it needs to sound incredible. I'm a gear-head and the sound of a motor is more important to me than its specific HP output.
3. it needs to handle really well. I'm a licensed club road-racer, and a track instructor for the local Porsche Club of America. I'd like to take it to the track once or twice a year and not hurt myself in it trying to make it do something it's not good at. (Who else here tracks your Cobra? what do I need to know?)
4. reliable. We just bought a historic home with a mini-farm, so I won't have much spare time to do much more than regular maintenance on this. (I don't want a project)
5. Are heaters / defrosters standard on most builds? that'll be important, but maybe not a deal-breaker. teach me.
6. I'm not rich. I want a good value, and I want it cheap. haha. But I'm willing to pay for more, when it makes sense. I'd think my current budget is under $50k-ish.
7. Looks are last in importance. I think they ALL look good, frankly. It needn't have perfect paint, or excellent interior. I don't like black, but I'm pretty good at vinyl wraps.

So; given this list..... what do I need to know? What features should I look for? What questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by maytag; 01-25-2022 at 08:04 AM..