View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 08:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Good morning y'all!

I'm here to learn. using the search function, I haven't seen this specific query used here, so I'm going to hope you'll indulge me a bit, and help direct me to applicable threads, if any.

I'm looking to purchase my first Cobra, and I need to know what the right things to know are. I don't know how different all of the various builds (and builders?) are, really? Or how much it really matters?

Here's what I think I'm looking for, in some sort of ordered-list:
1. I think i want it to be registerable as vintage. My county has tough emissions laws, and I need to be sure I can drive it legally.... what do y'all do about this?
2. it needs to sound incredible. I'm a gear-head and the sound of a motor is more important to me than its specific HP output.
3. it needs to handle really well. I'm a licensed club road-racer, and a track instructor for the local Porsche Club of America. I'd like to take it to the track once or twice a year and not hurt myself in it trying to make it do something it's not good at. (Who else here tracks your Cobra? what do I need to know?)
4. reliable. We just bought a historic home with a mini-farm, so I won't have much spare time to do much more than regular maintenance on this. (I don't want a project)
5. Are heaters / defrosters standard on most builds? that'll be important, but maybe not a deal-breaker. teach me.
6. I'm not rich. I want a good value, and I want it cheap. haha. But I'm willing to pay for more, when it makes sense. I'd think my current budget is under $50k-ish.
7. Looks are last in importance. I think they ALL look good, frankly. It needn't have perfect paint, or excellent interior. I don't like black, but I'm pretty good at vinyl wraps.

So; given this list..... what do I need to know? What features should I look for? What questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hello All! I'm a new member who has just begun my search for my first Cobra. I don't know near enough about which one I want, or why some are $35k and some are $120k. So I'm here to learn, first, then to shop.

I just sold my Ferrari F430 Spider, but it's full winter here so I couldn't drive it anyway. But come spring, I'm going to really miss it, unless I've pulled the trigger on the cobra already.... so that's my timeline.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Start by educating yourself as to the different brands of Cobra, ERA, SPF, CSX, Unique, Backdraft, Factory Five Racing, and a host of others.

Next, decide on which body style you want, 427SC, 427 street, 289FIA, 289 street.

Finally, before anything else, decide on how close a look and feel you want to an original.

Start your quest by CLICKING HERE

Everyones tastes are their own, take your time and learn the differences, do not get caught up in the sales hype of this vs that.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

PS: A cobra, real or replica, will be unlike anything you have ever driven on the street or the track. No matter your driving experience, as soon as you sit in the car, even before you turn the key, it will try it's best to kill you. Yes, really.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS