View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkV View Post
So my optima was having issues starting the car at 3.5 years old. I took it in for testing and they said it tested good but was low on charge. I took the alternator in for testing and they hooked it up wrong to begin with but then remedied it and the unit tested good on their machine.
At that point I bought a new lead sealed battery and installed it and started the car back up.
I found the amp meter running high at higher rpm’s and shut it back down.
I have a external voltage regulator and figured I had lost it again as I had many years ago.
When the car is at idle the battery voltage is about 12.8 but when I put any rpm’s to it it can soar to 16.6.
The amps also can go to 25-50 depending on rpm’s
I unplugged the voltage regulator and put a new one on and it still is doing the same thing.
I have a 351 bored to a 393 stroker with a 4 wire hookup at the alternator and a 4 wire hookup at the regulator.

Any ideas on where to test first?
Thx Kirk
25-50 amps isn't extreme, but it depends upon load (e.g. charging the battery, running an electric fuel pump, ignition system, cooling fans, headlamps, etc.). If it was 10 minutes after starting with nothing running like fans or headlamps, then 25 amps would probably be high.

What is your ammeter reading at idle?

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-25-2022 at 01:34 PM..