View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgarb302 View Post
ATM I feel I got a lemon. I just know I am becoming very sensitive to a $100,000 car having paint blemishes and acting like a “not rod” because of the clutch.
You haven't got a lemon. Really. You haven't. Cobras are just a completely different breed of cat. When I had my ERA built for me going on 17 years ago I had what I consider, and still consider, the finest hands in the world build my car and my engine (an FE, of course). That said, I still have had what some people would describe as "constant maintenance issues" up until this very day. Now, I've only had to perform emergency on-the-road repairs twice in order to get home, and I've only had to be towed home once. I've never had the car in a shop ever. These cars are really easy to fix. They are very much like the POS cars we all had in high school. Of course 50 years ago I would use coat hangar wire on the u-joints when I couldn't find a bolt -- I know better now. The point is that these cars must be viewed as joys to work on. And, you need to start learning how to do that. I can already tell from your posts that you are quite capable of learning how to do any of these repairs. You might need a couple of extra hands helping you, but wives and kids can suffice... usually. If you don't take that approach, you will be missing a good part of the Cobra experience.