View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     
Default ERA steering wheel hub threads

I completed my car with the ERA-supplied 15" steering wheel, which is held to the hub with six 12-24 flathead screws. Since this wheel does not have a split center, there is no separate top ring - the screw heads tighten into countersunk holes in the wheel itself.

I've just bought a Moto-Lita 16" split-center wheel and the top ring that goes over it. These parts have the same pitch circle diameter and hole staggering as the ERA-supplied wheel and hub, so everything lines up fine.

However, the hardware pack from Moto-Lita contains significantly larger screws - M6 - along with corresponding locknuts. The holes in the wheel and the countersinks in the top ring are sized to accommodate these screws.

So here's the question: is it necessary to drill and tap my ERA hub to M6 and use the bigger screws?

I've mocked up an assembly with the original screws and it seems okay. Since the screws locate on the countersink of the top ring, I'm not particularly worried that the clearance holes in the wheel are oversize.

The added height of the top ring robs some thread engagement in the hub, so even if I stick with 12-24 I will probably replace the original screws with longer ones to gain that back.

Bill