Thread: chassis VIN
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, thqnks so much for the precious information.
I missed a CR from 1991. While the negociation was well engaged, the guy sold it to someone else.
I'm in touch with another seller for another CR, with a 355 Chevrolet engine.

Twobjshelbys, indeed it's not an easy thing to import a Kit Car.
There are 2 major points :
1) the custom will consider as a collector car and charge reduced taxes (200 euros custom taxes instead of 10%, and 5,5% VAT instead of 20% !) if :
-the car is more than 30 years old
-the car hasn't been significantly modified (it seems that brakes and suspensions are acceptable)
-the car is not produced anymore

To prove the age of the car is the big challenge, because they won't accept a title showing 1965 for a replica, so we need to prove when the car was built or registered for the first time (that's why the info you gave me about the VIN decoder are so precious to me ;-)

2) The registration will be possible only if the French collector car association considers the car as a collector and delivers a certificate. To obtain it, you need to prove again that the car is 30 years old and hasn't been modified, you also need to prove that the engine is also more than 30 years old. Then the car must undergo a technical check at an approved center then you can get the registration.
Without that you have a 400 horse power flower pot !
What a nightmare ! But I think it's not really easier to import a car in the US, isn't it ?