View Single Post
Old 03-25-2022, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
Larry, while I usually agree with you about 110% , but on this I'll have to disagree. I don't believe that it is a term out of the replica world. I've been a fan of the Cobra since it's inception and I can't for the life of me understand how it is derogatory or inaccurate. I believe that it was (not officially) used to differentiate between the 427 and the 260/289 body styles which are strikingly different, and makes sense. They were both advertised as Roadsters. "Roadster defines a vehicle that has an open top, two doors, two seats, and is made for sport.

I think old Billy Shakespeare had stuff like this in mind when he penned "Much Ado about Nothing".

John O
I don't mind disagreement at all! I'm well equipped either way! Fire away!

A few things to point out when the discussion comes up about early/later leaf spring cars. Actual production (current knowledge) of 260 V8 cars accounted for somewhere around 54 cars and not the "first 75" often posted or quoted. There was most likely some overlap as well as 'first in-first out' was not the rule.
Early flares widened by 1/2'' happened at chassis CSX2160 with the switch from 5.5" to 6" Dunlop wheels and side vents added.
Rack and pinion steering happened at chassis CSX2126.
Ford/Essex/Autolite electrics and Stewart Warner gauges replacing Lucas equipment happened at chassis CSX2201.
Point being as there really isn't such a thing as "260 and 289 cars" as changes didn't take place with engine cubic inch change.

The term "Slabside" isn't accurate to describe the body of leaf spring cars as there's no "slab" to it. The side of the car has no truly flat portion to the body at all.
I think some of the original owners that take exception to the term comes from keeping originals original and differentiating them from replicas. They don't want to be lumped into the same group though most replica owners I know always hold originals higher than the most accurate replica. Not sure the rest of the world does though. I understand that! That's just a sense I get having been around and involved with both originals and replicas for decades.

Larry