View Single Post
Old 03-26-2022, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Yeah, you nailed it. I was inspected / registered as a 2004. Annual tax was reasonable, likely based on the sales tax paid back in the day as you mentioned. Until 2019, then Middletown assessed me at something like $40K (1500% increase). Both my wife and I called, they treated us like crap. They know exactly what they did, abusive money grab. I appealed it, declined. Then they raised it another 20% in 2020 (retaliation for the appeal). Appeal declined again.

DMV willing to revised the year from 2004 to 1965, but won't provide classic plates. I certainly do not want 2004 to become 1965 without classic plates, where they could then assess me based on an original $300k Shelby like you experienced!

I engaged SEMA, CCCTC, legislators, but minimal progress. I appreciate that you've continued to lobby, thank you.

Happy to see you got through with success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie View Post
I’m sorry your stuck in the older rules. I don’t believe you are being treated differently or with any prejudice. It’s unfortunate for you a victim of timing.

My 3 previous cars were inspected and registered as yours was in the years completed 99’ 02’ & 05’. All regular registrations no antique or classic. Had to pay full value property tax no exemption. The town wanted to charge me based upon an original Shelby value $300k+ vs an FFR $20k donor build. Fortunately the town assessor understood after a brief meeting and valued the car based upon sales tax paid. When acquiring the new to me car part of my criteria was model year.

I wish you and others caught in this the best working to change your status. I’ve lobbied my local reps for this and other SEMA type legislation as it occurs whether or not I’m personally affected. Sadly not a large enough issue with a few niche’ vehicles for our representatives to affect significant legislative change.

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/regi...re-beware.html