View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 07:43 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

It took California long enough to catch up with the auto manufacturers. They are about a year behind them in making this sort of announcement.

In January 2021, GM announced that they would produce 100% electric cars by 2035. Last year, Mercedes Benz said they would produce 100% electric vehicles by 2030. Bentley, Audi, BMW, and others have made similar announcements.

It's not a big deal. Everyone wants to get on the bandwagon and make a statement to push things forward. Whether or not it is accomplished is another thing. Good luck finding enough lithium to make batteries for that many cars. Tesla is already having problems. Then there is the fact that batteries have a bugger of a time performing in cold weather. Just how practical electric cars are in the northeast is yet to be seen. As to infrastructure, sure, it doesn't seem practical now, but there were no gas stations when cars first came out.
I think electric cars are a great concept. They are so much cleaner, more powerful, and easy to maintain...... except for one really big bugger, the battery. I watched a Youtube video the other day about a "cheap" battery repair by an independent operator that fixed three cells in a Tesla battery pack (out of 10 cells). The cost was $5000. The battery is the achilles heel of electric cars. If they can fix the battery issue, I'd own one.