View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default First Drive(s) after reinstalling rear differential

I took my car out for the first time after reinstalling my rear differential due to the sheared front differential bolt. I upgraded the front and rear differential bushings, replaced the diff cover (self inflicted), and cleaned up / polished the Diff output spacers (they rubbed the subframe when the bolt sheared). Replaced all bolts and washers that I removed. I'm happy to report that I only had one extra self tapping screw left over after reinstalling everything. which is very good for me.

The first drive was only in my neighborhood. Just wanted to make sure there were no leaks, abnormal grinding, brakes were working, etc...). Afterwards I checked / retorqued all bolts. The next day i took her for a 20 minute ride. Normal driving, no dropping the clutch or taking her to redline. I had no issues. Today, I drove her like she was designed for (in my opinion). She drove amazing. The only difference I noticed was when taking off in first gear. There is no shaking, I didn't have to ride the clutch. I think / I know I drove the car at least two times after the bolt sheared (not knowing at the time). It was very difficult to take off from a dead stop with bolt sheared. I'm amazed I was able to drive her with the bolt sheared without damaging the differential and or CV joints.

I really appreciate all the help!! Saved a lot of money and I learned a lot during the process. KNOCK, KNOCK ON WOOD

Thanks again, Mike