Old 04-20-2022, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     
Default another little update

Hello all,

Just another quick up date, for now.
It’s been a busy few days here with Easter and visiting family, a wonderful time.

First up, the side picture you were asking for of the differential case in place. Sorry for the delay. I tried to get a clear shot from the side but I still have a piece of steel clamped at the horizontal center line and the string along the vertical center line. This is so I can easily see it is centered as I am adjusting the mountings. The reason it is still there is because I am still waiting for my new front diff mounts and wondering if I will need to adjust anything.
But as far as the install goes I am really trying to keep the axle centered in the existing hole in the rear tower. But it makes getting a clear picture hard….sorry.

I did get a bit more work done however, I am also still waiting for my clutch master cylinder so I have still not installed the pedal box assembly yet but I turned my attention to the rear frame area.
The drawings give me the position in space for the 2 rear corner tubes so I made a temporary brace and tacked them to it to hold them in place, then fitted up the lower round tubes and upper square tubes. It was fairly straight forward really and I went ahead a welded this all up.

This is another reason I am glad I kept the basic rear tower assembly intact, it really allows me to work right off the drawings without needing to modify stuff to fit the previous things I needed to modify. It could become a vicious circle and in the end leave me wondering why I bought the drawings in the first place instead of just creating a complete chassis of my own design.

Come to think of it that is what I wold have done 20 years ago but now I want it to be more “ correct” now.

I also found a bit of time to get started on the front bumper mounts, hopefully I can get them in place soon then I think it might be time for another trial body fitting, perhaps.

And finally another question if anyone can check this for me.

I have just made up the tubes that hold the front bumper. I would like to confirm the size of the bolts or threaded rods that hold this all together. The overriders to the tubes to the mounts.
My drawing set has these at 3/8 or .375 inch inner diameter but this looks a bit small to me. Don’t have my bumpers yet to check and yes I could bore them out later but it would be much easier to do it now on the old lathe if this dimension is wrong.
Perhaps 3/8 is correct, I just don’t know. If someone could confirm this I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Hudson

Perhaps he was always a shyster, but we just chose to over look it for awhile.

You build what you like and I will build what I like...it's all good

You know that guy,
The one in the neighborhood who likes to hang around the garage while you are working and talk about back when he had that killer 1977 Chevy Mustang