View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Brian, when I first saw your post, I thought of my friend's 'Beast' a 65 Mustang fastback, supercharged 347, 5-speed, 4-wheel Wilwood's disc, etc. While the car was in Cal. having final touches done, it had 17" wheels, which wasn't what Terry wanted, 16" looked far better, for the wide & taller tires that it was going to wear, more of a vintage look. 16"X8" would fit with the right offsets. He went to 'Vintage Wheel' told them the correct offsets and 3-weeks later they were on the car, now the bad part, they came out to $500 each (2017 prices). But they can make them. And these are American Racing Torque Thrust D's, not the Series II, with the pointed spokes. Hope this helps. Cheers Tom.
I don't see custom backspaced wheels on the Vintage Wheels site, so I suspect it's one of those things that needs more of a 'personal touch'.

I've contact my local wheel shop and, contrary to previous information, they say they don't widen wheels. They're checking to see if they can get the custom backspacing that Vintage Wheels can get. I can't see any reason why they can't if Vintage Wheels can. I know a few years ago American Racing listed custom backspacing on their website, but I can't find it listed.

I've also looked at a complete set of Halibrand-style knock-offs from Vintage, and frankly I'd buy them before buying bolt-on Halibrand-style wheels.