View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Just pulled a C7(unable to read all the casting #s) output shaft housing from a C8 main case and I was incorrect about the lube only flowing thru the bearing. The main case I viewed had an approx. 1/4" dia. hole about 1/4" C/L below the bottom of the bearing in the main case. The output shaft housing had an oval hole which would line up with the hole in the main case. These holes should equalize the lube in the main case and output shaft housing assuming proper lube level, not sure if all cases are like this. With the lube properly filled to the bottom of the main case fill hole and assuming the lube in the main case had flowed to the output shaft housing to the proper level without leaving the main case below the optimal level, I don't believe the speedometer gears in the output shaft housing would be submerged in lube when the vehicle was stationary on level ground. It appears the speedometer gears need to be lubed upon installation and then will receive lubrication as the lube transfers back and forth between the output shaft housing and main case. My statements are hypothesis based on the inspection of the previously stated items, all submitted for your consideration.