View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
What you really need to say is " as I do not know any legal way to excise a "cursed" title."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I personally do not know of any way, legal or illegal to change the history of a currently "rebuilt titled" vehicle.

Bill S.
Agree - Once a car is wearing a VIN number that is matched to the VIN number printed on a bonded paper title document, that VIN plate may not be legally tampered with, altered, or removed.

Of course, many states have documented procedures for rectifying a car's VIN and title condition; if the car's original VIN plate should somehow happen to "fall off" the car and become lost while barreling down the highway (Hey, it could happen ). these states will issue a brand new VIN number (which they will affix to the car) and will also issue a new title, which matches the car's new VIN.

and since the car is a "custom built component replica" the new title will carry a SPCON (special construction) designation.

But in this case, That's just too much hassle... I don't necessarily agree that the restored brand on this car's title is going to result in any more than maybe a 10% hit on the resale value... It's still an aluminum bodied Kirkham, after all.

A free (and worth every penny) suggestion: consider submitting it to Bringatrailer, including pics from the fire and the post-fire restoration, and ask for a 125k reserve. (which is easily a 20-30k premium to what one could conceivably build an equivalent Kirkham today)

You might get lucky and they might run the listing. Kirkhams' usually do very well on BAT.

BAT isn't what it used to be (a place for people to list automotive auctions that TRULY "needed a trailer" )

Today, BAT is the haven of heavy 6 figure Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, restomod Broncos, and the occasional Cobra replica

I'm reminded of the FF Mark II that brought almost 70k(!) a few months back. That car must have had some kind of MAGIC brand on its title