Old 06-09-2022, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Joel

I'll try and explain how it should be done....

Here we start with the Fuel Cell with vents on both sides

Then we weld in the Aero Fuel cap inside of the Quick Fuel on the fender

Now we drill holes in the outside cap for vents on both side of the fuel cell

Now we go to the outside cap and drill two holes above the Aero Fuel cap so the fuel fumes can vent to the outside ambient pressure.

Then we mount Check valves to the vent lines coming up from the fuel cell vents on the corners of the fuel cell.

Now you can see the Check valves attached above the Aero Cap to vent to the atmosphere and from both sides of the cell for high speed corners in either direction.

Also please note the ground wires going from the cap to the chassis of the car so you have no issues with static electricity to ignite any fuel vapors.

Sorry for the long post
Morris
Morris: thanks for the detailed explanation and all the pictures!

I do get what you're saying and it totally makes sense to me for a carbureted application. I guess the question back to you is if this venting system is applicable for an EFI application? Ed's explanation for the separation of fuel vapors at the fuel pressure regulator with the non-liquid part getting returned to the tank via the fuel return line seems to make a lot of sense to me. If the tank venting efficiently let those vapors out to the atmosphere, then what?? Is it better off for having a non-pressurized gas tank and a potentially greater contribution to air pollution? Does the pressurized fuel tank help minimize additional vaporization? Is there a fuel additive that would help promote less vaporization?

I guess I'm better at asking questions at this point than answering them. I hate that but I'm willing to be educated on this topic because I do have other homebuilt cars that can benefit from getting a more optimal answer. On my replica Ferrari 250 GTO the fuel tank venting is almost exactly as you've described. It's also an EFI car so maybe the way I setup the current fuel tank venting on it is non-optimal?? I don't know but I haven't been able to move that car to my new location yet so I only have the Cobra to try things out on right now.